Our community guidelines can be summed up by one simple phrase: do no harm. We ask is that you are mindful of your behaviour towards others, and only contribute content which you consider essential to the topics you’re knowledgeable about.
We’re also aware that while we run Newsana, you ARE the community, and we’re asking you to help us keep it a vibrant and welcoming.
- Please spend some time in the community reading posts before pitching a story, or commenting within the Topic Discussion page. Just like you wouldn’t storm into a party and lecture everybody before you’ve met other guests, we’re asking you to ‘feel out the room’ before you start posting. This will ensure you get the general vibe of the community, and this will help you figure out how to contribute and connect meaningfully with your peers.
- Stay on topic, and keep your comments relevant. We’re fans of Lifehacker’s guide to great commenting – we encourage you to read it as they’ve got some great advice on how to do it right.
- Shoot for smart conversation. Before you pitch or comment, ask yourself a couple of simple questions: Why is this an essential story? How will this forward the conversation?
- We encourage a spirited debate, but trolling and abuse toward other community members will not be tolerated. Enough said.
- We’re a pretty friendly and accepting bunch, so racism, sexism or other forms of hate speech within pitches or discussions will not be tolerated.
- Seeing as we’d like to stick around for a bit, we will consider removing comments which put Newsana into legal jeopardy (pitches and discussion comments which may be considered potentially libelous, defamatory or in breach of copyright).
- We’re all big fans of those ‘no flyers or junk mail’ signs you see on mailboxes. Please don’t post spam or links to personal sites. The only exception is if a link to your personal site helps or supports a conversation.
- Be respectful. Newsana was created to celebrate quality news and ideas, and was thus designed to drive traffic (and revenue) back to the source sites. Help us by ensuring only small snippets of outside content ends up on our site – and don’t forget to credit the authors and publications! Or in ‘legal speak’: Don’t post or transmit any articles, images, stories, software or other material, which violates or infringes upon the rights of others, including material which is an invasion of privacy or publicity rights or which is protected by any intellectual property rights.
See anything missing? Email your suggestions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.